Fill the biscuit with cream and strawberryFill with jam and cream and decorate with strawberry.
Genoa is a classic European biscuit, which has been produced in Italian and French cuisine for centuries. It uses cracked eggs to make a cake elevator and is not dependent on baking powder or other chemical carriers. The result is an inflatable cake that tastes like a cake baked in a beautiful confectionery.
The Genoa sponge is particularly suitable for taking liqueur, fruit curd cheese, cream, jam or other liquid ingredients. The last cake is light and moist – it won’t take long on the table.
How to prepare the Genoa cake
Yield: An 8-inch round cake. Serves: 10. Preparation time : Fifteen minutes. Kitchen time: 35 minutes.
- General Purpose Flour 5 ¾ Ounces
- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ounce of butter, melted and chilled
- 1 cup of whipped cream
- 2 boilers with icing sugar
- 1 pound of strawberries
- Grease an 8-inch round cake glass with butter and sprinkle with flour. If you have extra flour, shake it out. Preheat the oven to 315°F.
- Sieve the flower into a bowl. Repeat the sieving a second time in another bowl, so that the flour is light and free of lumps. Never mind.
- Add the superfine sugar, vanilla and eggs to a large heat-resistant bowl and whisk with an electric hand mixer until the ingredients are mixed. Put a bowl on a pot of boiling water (bain-marie) and make sure that the water does not reach the bottom of the bowl. Whip the mixture for 10 minutes or until the texture is thick and shiny. It will almost double in size, and when you lift the ricochet, a strip of tape has to be formed. Take the bowl off the stove.
- Lightly butter the egg mixture with half the flour. Fold them carefully with a spoon or shoulder blade. Add the remaining flour and fold until it mixes.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan to smooth the surface of the cake and bake until the top of the pan is slightly browned (about 35 minutes). Other plates indicate that the cake is ready – the inserted spit comes out clean, or the sides move slightly away from the pot. Allow the genre to cool for 5 minutes, then turn to the rack to cool completely.
- Cut the cake in half with a serrated knife and braise the bottom half with jam and then with cream. Put the top half of the cake back on top and cover it with cream, then decorate it with strawberries.
Steps in the preparation of a sponge sponge genoise
: If you like the look of this cake, you can have a look at our chocolate and coffee cakes or our dare cake, which are both impressively light and airy.
How long can I keep my sponge?
You can cook a sponge from Genoa the night before dinner. After cooling, wrap the sponge well and store it in a cool, dry place. The cake can also be frozen for up to a week. It must be defrosted at room temperature before decorating.
5 Tips for improving the sponge gene
1. Correct mixing time
There is a thin line between the bottom and the top. As soon as the dough reaches the stage of the orchestra, stop immediately to prevent all air bubbles from blowing up. If there is too much knocking, the mixture becomes flat, resulting in a flat cake. The texture should be very similar to the image below.
2. Furnace door to close
Do not open the oven door when baking a cake. The sponge is then immediately blown out and there is nothing left to repair it. The use of an oven thermometer for precise heating gives you the certainty that you will get the perfect cake in 35 minutes. In addition, a heater installed during normal operation should be used, not a forced ventilation system.
3. Always use marijuana
Beat your eggs constantly in a double boiler so they don’t turn into sweet omelette eggs. It is also important that the bottom of the bowl does not come into contact with water, as this can also prepare the eggs.
4. Consider using two pans
If you’re not sure if you can cut the cake in two perfect layers, the other option is to cut the batter in half and fill it into two cake moulds. Make sure they are the same size, otherwise the finished cake will look a bit wobbly.
5. Rapid operation
When the flour is folded, scoop the dough into the pan and put it directly into the oven to make a higher cake. With every minute that passes, the bubbles in the mixture begin to burst, flattening the dough.
- Genoese cakes are also known as Genoa or Genoese, named after the Italian city of Genoa.
- They can be used as a substitute for the fingers of God in your next tiramisu.
- The water bath is not required to make this cake, but the result is a softer foam.
- Biscuit cake is often used as a basis for other recipes such as Black Forest cherry pie, Swiss rolls and Jaffa cake.