Published : 14. December 2020. – Changed: 14. December 2020 Laura – This publication may contain links to partner organisations.
Shepherd’s pie is made with ground beef (or lamb) and nutritious vegetables in a rich sauce. The whole is covered with mashed potatoes and then baked in the oven. It’s a dish the whole family loves!
Like my turkey pâté recipe, this light shepherd’s tail recipe is super flexible. It can be made from almost any kind of beef or lamb and almost any vegetable in the fridge or freezer.
This eye-catching dinner is an easy and great way to prepare a dinner that everyone in the family will enjoy. I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t like it.
What you like about this recipe
- Take it easy. Take it easy: Shepherd’s pie is a light meal prepared from a single pan and baked in the oven. Use ground beef or and you can choose the vegetables you want to use.
- He’s in good health: Shepherd’s pie contains solid amounts of protein and vegetables. Choose a relatively lean meat and you get a healthy dinner and nutritious food with a soul.
- A recipe from a saucepan: This recipe is actually a unique piece. With the exception of mashed potatoes. I often do it when I have some mashed potatoes left over.
I usually make this recipe in a large cast iron frying pan. So I only have one plate to clean at the end of the night.
The numberis required.
The ingredients of shepherd’s tail are flexible. You can do whatever you want with the stuffing.
- Ground beef or lamb: Shepherd’s pie is traditionally made from crushed lamb. I used ground beef for this recipe, but both are equally tasty. You can even use a mixture of half beef and half lamb.
- Onions, garlic, mushrooms, carrots, zucchini and cabbage: This recipe is a cup of classic shepherd’s pie. I like to use more refined vegetables. But you can always stick to the classic version*.
- Rosemary, salt and pepper: The filling only tastes like a ton of meat and vegetables. You really don’t have to add a lot of extra herbs. I love rosemary in this soothing autumn dish.
- Stock and beef meal : You can use any type of stock. With beef or lamb, on the other hand, I stick with beef stock. Homemade, if you have one. A few tablespoons of flour thicken the broth to make a spicy beef sauce. Yummy!
- Potatoes, butter and milk: Three reddish-brown potatoes are usually the ideal quantity for this recipe. I use unsalted butter and milk. I like to use milk and goat butter, but that’s not necessary at all.
I fry the meat, add the vegetables and make the sauce in the pan. Then I add the mashed potatoes for cooking. Let the potatoes boil so that they can be cooked and mashed when your meat topping is ready.
Pie filling instructions for shepherds
- Mix the beef, onion and garlic. Brown the ground meat in a large cast iron frying pan.
- Add vegetables. As soon as the ground meat is properly cooked, it is time to add vegetables. Cut the vegetables into cubes so that they are about the same size. Add them to the fried meat and sauce until tender. About five minutes.
- Make some sauce: Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of flour with a mixture of meat and vegetables. Stir. As soon as the flour is fully absorbed, add the stock and bring it to the boil. Reduce the heat and cook until you get a good thick sauce. [See recipe sheet for making gluten-free shepherd’s pie]
- Away from the heat. Remove the filling mixture from the baking tray and put it aside. At this point you can decide whether you want to bake the shepherd’s tail in a cast iron pan or in a 9×13 pan.
Simple Massage Instructions
This is the easiest mashed potato recipe I know.
- Cut the potatoes into cubes. Cut each potato into 6 pieces, you can clean them first, but usually I leave the skin on and remove it after boiling the potatoes.
- Bring the potatoes to the boil. Bring the potatoes to the boil and then reduce the heat to medium. Boil the potatoes in boiling water until the fork is soft. Empty the sieve. Cool off a little and remove the skin.
- Mashed potatoes. For stamping, use a simple potato machine with manual assistance. You can use rice to make an extra creamy puree.
- Add butter and milk. Add the butter and milk to the potatoes and stir with a wooden spoon until the milk and butter are completely evaporated. Salt and pepper to taste.
- The best shepherd’s tail. Cover the shepherd’s tail with mashed potatoes and you can start cooking.
How to make shepherd’s tail
- Preheating the furnace at 200℃ / 200℃.
- The oven: Place the cast iron pan on the baking tray and slide it into the oven. The oven takes 30 to 40 minutes.
Frequently asked questions and expert advice
Can I bake the shepherd’s tail in advance?
Yes, of course. Shepherd’s Cake can be prepared in advance and this recipe is also very well frozen.
I like to freeze it in separate portions so I can’t overheat it and eat it quickly and easily for breakfast.
How do I heat a shepherd’s tail in the oven?
To heat a shepherd’s tail in the oven, all you have to do is heat the oven to 275° on 300℉.
Time depends on how much shepherd’s tail warms you up. According to the USDA, the safe temperature for heating food is 165℉.
Is homemade shepherd’s tail healthy?
In my opinion, a complete diet is always healthy. Homemade shepherd’s tail is a balanced meal consisting of proteins, vegetables and a small amount of mashed potatoes.
- Classic shepherd’s tail. Replace the vegetarian mixture with peas, carrots and corn. In addition, use a few tablespoons tomato puree and 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce for the sauce.
- Cheese and mashed potatoes. To make this shepherd’s pie even more decadent, you can increase the level of mashed potatoes by adding parmesan cheese or cheddar cheese and sour cream.
- Low in carbohydrates. Mashed potatoes Cauliflower can be used instead of mashed potatoes.
- A garnish. Set aside a shepherd’s tail with minced meat or parsley after it has left the oven.
What should I serve with the shepherd’s tail?.
Looking for warmer, sweeter soup recipes. Here are some of my favorites.
➽ Did you make this recipe? If you like it, please leave a message at 5 ★ ! I love hearing you! Follow me @ Foodologygeek on your favorite social channel! Facebook, Instagram & Interest.
Classic Shepherd’s Pie is a simple and easy recipe for a dinner prepared with a mixture of ground beef or lamb and vegetables. Then everything is covered with a layer of creamy mashed potatoes.
Cooking time 20 minutes
Cooking time 40 minutes
The rest time is 10 minutes.
Total duration 1 hour 10 minutes
The American kitchen
Calories 317 kcal
How to make a shepherd’s tail that fills?
- Brown the ground beef.
- Add vegetables
- Add the stock.
How to make mashed potatoes
Collect the shepherd’s tail
- Heat the oven to 400°F before assembling the shepherd’s tail.
- Pour the stuffing into the bowl.
- Divide the mashed potatoes over it.
Shepherd’s tail preparation
- Place the shepherd’s tail on a thick dough and put it in the oven.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the shepherd’s tail blisters at the edges.
- Take them out of the oven before serving and leave them for 5 to 10 minutes.
Recipe varieties I like to mix and use different vegetables.
My second favorite vegetable combination in this recipe is shiitake mushrooms, zucchini and cabbage.
You can use any kind of ground meat you want. Ground beef, lamb or turkey – all perfect for that hearty meal.
Diet: 1,317 kcalU carbohydrates: 18gProtein: 14gVet: 21gSaturated fat: 10gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 662mgFiber: 3gSugar: 3gCalcium: 81mgFat: 2mg
An oxtail, a light dinner, a frying pan.
(visited once, visited once today)
toffee recipe brown sugar,soft toffee recipe,toffee chocolate bars,how to make toffee with golden syrup,english toffee,toffee stir or not,betty crocker toffee recipe,buttery toffee ncig,butter crunch recipe,arcor butter toffee,butter toffee popcorn,english toffee recipe with hershey bars,butter toffee cookie recipe,toffee butter urban dictionary,butter toffee calories,toffee pieces recipe,butter toffee flavor,butter toffee cookies,butter toffee peanuts recipe,no stir toffee recipe,butter toffee ice cream,scottish toffee recipe,how to make english toffee,toffee recipe sugar spun run,soft butter toffee recipe,plain toffee recipe,how to make toffee bits,english toffee recipe,butter toffee candy,toffee recipe condensed milk